Friday, August 15, 2008

Costumes for Performing Arts

I have had the pleasure over the last couple of years to work with a group of young dancers and actors by making their costumes. These girls study ballet and acting and their instructor is truly an inspiration. She loves what she does, and she loves the kids.

A couple of days ago, I received a disc of pictures from a program they did in May of this year. I had been unable to attend their performance, because my daughter had another event to attend. Before we go into that though, I want to go back to the year 2006.

That year they did a comedy "Christmas Carol" I made over 25 costumes. It was a lot of work, took a lot of hours, several fittings, but worth every moment to see the excitement when they were finally delivered for the dress rehearsal. My daughter was in this performance in a couple of different roles. She was a Caroler and an Irish Dancer. Here she is in her costumes:



I especially love this picture of the younger girls, dressed up and made up, waiting to take the stage:
Here is Mrs. Cratchet and two of the Cratchet children and Tiny Tim. I did not make the boys:

Just a few more:

And these:


Now on to "The Velveteen Rabbit". Can you tell the costumes in the center below were inspired by American Girls collection? The girls really wanted something like that.




These were so much fun. I just let the scraps pile on the floor. The colors were so pretty.

The rabbit is the one in blue above - sooo cute!


No comments: