Monday, January 18, 2010

Butterick 4659





I don't know about Fast & Easy. I think this pattern is more for an experienced sewer, one that cuts out their patterns with precision or has the knowledge and experience to know how to make sure things line up perfectly before clipping inside corners and other such things. Sititching the facing down around the collar was fiddly and if the corners do not match up perfectly or the clips to the corner are not just right, well then, you have a problem.

I had a problem with fitting on this one. I usually cut a size 12 for a wide back, and then take in the side seams through the sleeve seam. I have never had to make an SBA. I am very small up there, but I wear a super duper padded bra. There was a lot of ease in this pattern. I did not make a muslin (I just don't like to take the time, and since I've been sewing all my life, I think I know what I'm doing.) I practically completed the top, even put the buttons on, when I realized that this top was huge. I ended up taking the sleeves out, taking an inch out of the top portion of the princess seam at the armscye while leaving the lower, side front with the normal seam allowance, took in the side seams half an inch on each side, and taking in the princess seams in the back another 3/8". I then had to trim away from the shoulder and adjust the sleeves to fit in.

I had hand sewn the front facings down, but when I took it apart to make the alterations, I decided to stitch all together and serge. The seams lay towards the sides instead of the center, which is not the proper way, but it looked okay when pressed so I plunged ahead.

I should have used a lighter weight interfacing so that the front is less stiff, but I think I'm probably the only one who would notice that.

In the end I really like the blouse. I'm not sure I will be making it again.

The fabric is from Gorgeous Fabrics and is a cotton/lycra blend. The buttons are from my huge button stash given to me by my mother.

I'm making another pair of jeans using McCalls 5592. This is the second time I've used this pattern. The first pair fit really well and I enjoy wearing them.

I want to try to do a little everyday. I have alterations to do for clients, so that comes first. I hope to finish the jeans by the weekend. This is my progress so far. The front, including fly zipper and pockets. I love the pocket and fly facings. I used a cotton from my stash. The zipper was given to me in a bundle. The fabric is 100% cotton from Gorgeous Fabrics.

2 comments:

HeathersSphere said...

You created such a gorgeous top! Very nicely sewn!

Sarah Lemmon said...

I agree... I hate it when they say fast and easy. It never is. Good job though!