Sunday, September 21, 2008

Simplicity 2917 - A Simple Black & Red Dress

Black and red are great colors for me. This fabric is 100% cotton that I purchased at A Stitch Connection aka Carol V's Sewing Room in Port Charlotte, FL. They carry mostly cotton fabric for quilting. I could not resist this piece when I was there just a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure I am crazy about the finished results. The patterns seems a little short waisted on me. I plan to take in the sides a little to improve that, but I'm moving on to something else right now. I cut View A with the cap sleeves, but made the shorter version. I like my skirts/dresses to be just below the knee, but even with only 1/2" hem, the length was just above mid knee. I think it looks a little awkward. I did get compliments at church and at the grocery on the way home. I guess I am very critical of my own work.

You can really see how the flare begins a little too high in this photo. The cap sleeves stand out a little more than I expected, but if they were more snug I'm afraid I would not be able to lift my arms.

I tried it with a belt, as in one of the pictures on the pattern envelope. That did not work for me.





I fully lined the dress. I line almost everything. It makes
the inside prettier and helps cut down on wrinkles. I also
avoid wearing slips. Who likes to wear slips anyway?
I hand stitched the lining to the zipper. This was the only
change I made in construction.




My mother knits beautiful shawls.
I can wear this into the fall here in
Southwest Florida. It will be perfect
for those slightly chilly nights or out
to dinner where they keep the dining rooms so cold.

I think after looking at the pictures, that I definitely need a little something around my neck. Maybe a black beaded necklace with an oriental black or red piece in the center.

Sorry about the crooked kitty picture. It really is not crooked on my wall.

1 comment:

Ann Made Studio said...

Your dress looks wonderful on you!
The shawl compliments it perfectly!
Lining it must give it a very comfortable feel! It's a great idea.