Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Jeans - McCall's 5592

I'm a little late to the jean making party. It seems like everyone on sewing blog land was making jeans over the summer. McCall's 5592 had several good reviews, so I chose this pattern for my first pair.

The denim is a medium weight from Joanns, a cotton/lycra blend. It washed well with very little wrinkling. With the sale and my ASG discount, I spent less than $13 for the fabric and had enough left over for a vest, which is cut out but not sewn. The jean zipper was in my stash and was given to me by someone who got rid of their zipper stash. I used a denim thread for tops stitching that almost looks lilac in color. I have no idea where it came from, so I will consider it a freebie as well :) The pattern cost $1.00. So I have a good fitting pair of jeans for $14. Not Bad!

I lined the fly opening, front pockets, and the waistband with a left over piece of quilting cotton. I love this idea. Not only adds a little hidden interest, but cuts down on bulk making it easier for top stitching.

I used pants hook for closure and may change that to a button. I did not use rivets and since I wear my shirts untucked, no one will know but me.

I can't figure out how to lighten these on my tiny web book. I love the side and front views. I'm hoping the back view is off because of the way I'm standing. I'm pleased with the fit and will spend a little more time on details with the next pair.

You can also see the rear view of Coco Chanel, the newest addition to our family. My older kitties are having a hard time adjusting to Coco. She came from the shelter and I just had to take her home.

No comments: